Persistence of Vision
“In a place where time stands still, a lonely beast takes guard over the sacred water; it is the last creature of its kind, living proudly within the realm of fantasy and reality.”Johnny Yip 在 POVCOMP 2004 的冠军作品“The Last Guardian”,一直都让我叹为观止,或许因为对深海恐龙情有独钟的原故吧。那是用一个叫 POV-Ray (Persistence of Vision Raytracer) 的软件制作的。
用电脑制作 3D graphics 有许多方法,其中最逼真的是所谓的 ray tracing,或者可以称为“光线追踪”。其重要的特征就是有能力模拟光线反射和折射的现象。POV-Ray 是其中一个很高质素的 ray tracing 软件。
十多年前,买下了 POV-Ray 刚推出 1.0 版本时候的书(现在恐怕属于古董了)。当时觉得新奇得很,但是速度实在慢的要紧。记得当时有一幅叫 drums 的在 286 render 要花上六个钟头(好像才 640x480 而已)。后来我测试电脑的速度经常都以其 ray tracing 的速度为标准。
到今天,real-time ray tracing 都几乎可行了。但不管你电脑多快,弄出来的作品是好是坏还是得靠真才实料的艺术天分。嘿,这方面我只有当观众的份。
POV-Ray 多年来一直有举办 ray tracing 比赛,也一直都有令人惊叹的作品出现。有兴趣不妨到其网站看看,尤其不要错过那里的 Hall of Fame。
把想象留住!

6 Comments:
虾米碗糕啦?
我虽然也不知这是虾米碗糕,但那些作品实在迷人!
Creepy? Ha ha, I suppose we have quite different tastes then. You don't recognize the castle below? It's a candidate for the new 7 wonders of the world...
Yes, they're all about a game, that I might write about in the future. For now, they're here just for fun :)
Whassuuuppppp
When are you coming to Cali again??
-WL
Liiii? Okay be prepared, I'll be there real soon...
Bring your sunscreen ;)
I was talking to SH (not you) on MSN that day and he pointed me to your blogspot plus some others. It was nice to see how everyone was doing. Good job on your blog, and I'll check back often.
Later
-WL
发表评论
<< Home